Background

In October/November 2023 Council asked community members, friends groups and historical societies if they knew about the historical significance of any street names in the municipality.

Two groups presented Council with the history behind a number of street names. When the history behind street names could not be verified they were excluded.

Twenty-six street names have been identified and each has suggested wording describing the history behind them. Information is limited to 15 to 20 words so that it fits on the standard size street sign.

How can I participate

Check out the tabs below. You will find a map of each area which outlines the suggested wording about the history of the street name. If you would like to give feedback by Sunday 21 April about the wording you can do so by:

Filling out the form in each tab
emailing the Governance team
posting to Hume City Council, Governance, PO Box 1119, Dallas, VIC 3047

Bulla

aerial view of small area of bulla that has wording suggested for street sings that have historic significance


Street nameSuggested wording
Bourke StreetIn 1835, Sir Richard Bourke, was Governor of the Colony of New South Wales and Port Phillip District
Cahill StreetEarly farmers in the district, Thomas and Malachi Cahill acquired land in Wildwood Road in Bulla
Coghill StreetDonald Coghill built Cumberland in 1849, now a part of Woodlands and operated boiling-down works on Deep Creek
Green StreetWilliam and Anne Greene settled at Woodlands in 1843. The Bulla Church of England was originally built on the Woodlands property
Quartz StreetQuartz, a mineral deposit discovered and mined at the Bulla mine on Woodlands near Moonee Ponds Creek
Rawdon StreetRawdon Foster Greene was the son of William and Anne Greene. He attended the Bulla Bulla National School
School LaneIn 1976 tenders were accepted for building a new school house and school No. 46 at the end of School Lane
Trap StreetTrap, a dark, fine-grained non-granite igneous rock found in the district near the Moonee Ponds Creek

Westmeadows

This area contains small parts of Attwood and Broadmeadows.

Street name

Suggested wording

Ardlie Street

John M. Ardlie, acquired 225 acres of land, c1850, along the western bank of the Moonee Ponds Creek

Black Street

Niel Black, pioneer landholder, acquired 777 acres of land, in part of what has become Gladstone Park

Bent Street

Sir Thomas Bent, member of the Victorian parliament, and land speculator, who purchased much land across Melbourne’ suburbs

Campbell Street

John David Lyon Campbell migrated from Scotland and acquired land across the district

Coghill Street

Donald Coghill built Cumberland in 1849, now a part of Woodlands and operated boiling – down works on Deep Creek

Eyre Street

Eyre Evans Kenny, acquired land at Camp Hill, later known as Gowan Brae, now part of Tullamarine

Fawkner Street

John Pascoe Fawkner, a businessman and politician, acquired land along Moonee Ponds Creek, near Oak Park and other lots throughout the area

Forman Street

Peter Foreman was an early settler in the local area, who arrived in the Colony in 1839

Johnstone Street John Johnstone acquired Greenhill at Yuroke and was a Roads Board representative until 1863

Kenny Street

Eyre Evans Kenny, acquired land at Camp Hill, later known as Gowan Brae, now part of Tullamarine

Pascoe Street

John Pascoe Fawkner, a businessman and politician, acquired land along Moonee Ponds Creek, near Oak Park and other lots throughout the area

Raleigh Street

Joseph Raleigh acquired land on the west side of the Maribyrnong River

Riddell Street

John Carre Riddell, settled at Riddells Creek, acquired land west of Broadmeadows Road, along the Moonee Ponds Creek

Wills Street

Thomas Wills acquired a sec􀆟on of land upstream from Broadmeadows Township on the Moonee Ponds Creek, that later became part of Cumberland

Other small areas

One street each in: Broadmeadows, Campbellfield, Craigieburn and Meadow Heights

Suburb/Street name

Suggested wording

Broadmeadows

Stevenson Street

Robert Stevenson first Chairman of the District Road Board of Broadmeadows, elected 1858, and remained on the board until 1862

Campbellfield

Hatty Court

John Hatty, local land owner and Member of the District Road Board of Broadmeadows from 1858-1868 and 1870-1873

Craigieburn

Patullos Lane

William and James Patullo, district pioneers, owned several acres of land from the early 1850 to 1909

Meadow Heights

Shankland Boulevard

Robert Shankland, Chairman of the District Road Board of Broadmeadows and son William, Councillor Shire of Broadmeadows